Fort Mitchell Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in a vehicle collision, slip-and-fall accident, or another incident due to someone’s negligence, you need an experienced attorney to fight on your behalf. A personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for relevant medical care, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
The Fort Mitchell personal injury lawyers of Lawrence & Associates understand the unique challenges you might be facing in the aftermath of an accident. You likely have costly ongoing medical care but are unable to work. Our experienced legal team can help reduce your financial stress by securing the compensation you deserve.
For a free consultation and case evaluation, contact us today at (513) 351-5997. Our Fort Mitchell personal injury lawyers are ready to uphold your legal rights and fight on your behalf.
Fort Mitchell Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Personal injury is an area of law that covers a wide range of cases, from premises liability to slip-and-fall accidents. These are some of the most common cases our Fort Mitchell personal injury lawyers handle:
- Car Accidents: Driving is part of everyday life here in Fort Mitchell, KY, and it’s easy to forget about the risks involved. But in the blink of an eye, a negligent driver can cause you to suffer from broken bones, a concussion, internal bleeding, and more.
- Truck Accidents: Accidents involving large trucks, big rigs, and 18-wheelers may result in catastrophic injuries. These accidents are often caused by driver fatigue, lack of driver training, neglected maintenance, and improper cargo loading.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Riding a motorcycle comes with many risks, since riders are so exposed to the environment. But this doesn’t excuse negligence on the road. Those involved in motorcycle accidents have a right to hold negligent drivers accountable.
- Bicycle Accidents: Bicyclists are among the most vulnerable on the road and may sustain severe injuries when involved in accidents. If you were harmed in a bicycle accident, it’s critical to hire an attorney to protect your legal rights.
- Premises Liability: Property owners have a responsibility to ensure their walking areas, parking lots, and other premises are safe. Neglected maintenance may create hazardous conditions, leading to slip-and-fall accidents, security issues, and other incidents.
- Dog Bites: Even the most well-trained dogs can be unpredictable, but this doesn’t excuse negligence on behalf of a pet owner. If you were harmed due to a negligent pet owner, you have a right to seek compensation for your medical care, pain and suffering, and more.
- Product Liability: The products we use every day must undergo rigorous testing and trials to ensure their safety. If you were hurt because of a dangerous or defective product, you can file a lawsuit against the manufacturer and demand compensation.
- Wrongful Death: Dealing with the death of a loved one is hard to bear, especially if their death could have been prevented. Financial compensation can help you move on in the wake of such a significant loss.
- Loss of a Spouse or a Child: No one is prepared for the sudden loss of a spouse or child. If you’re struggling in the aftermath of losing a loved one, it’s important to know that you may have legal recourse.
- Rental Bike Accidents: Rental bike companies and their maintenance crews have a responsibility to ensure their bikes are well-maintained and safe when operated correctly. If you sustained injuries on a rental bike due to negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Rental Scooter Accidents: If you rented a defective or dangerous scooter that caused harm, you have a right to hold negligent parties accountable. There may be negligence on behalf of the rental company or third parties.
Every case is unique, and our attorneys are prepared to give yours the personalized attention it deserves so that you can receive the maximum compensation for your case.
Kentucky Personal Injury Statistics
Some of the most common personal injury accidents in the state of Kentucky include the following:
- In 2020 alone, there were over 10,000 car accidents every month in the state, according to Kentucky State Police.
- Of those car accidents, there were well over 1,000 collisions every month that resulted in injury, and dozens of accidents that were fatal.
- The Kentucky State Police reports that the majority of car accidents were caused by inattention, not being in control of the vehicle, misjudging clearance, failing to yield, following too closely, and other forms of driver negligence.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics reports that slips, trips, and falls were responsible for 17% of fatal workplace accidents in recent years.
- According to the Insurance Information Institute, homeowners insurance paid well over $600 million in claims and lawsuits related to dog bites in 2018.
It’s important to remember that, no matter how your injury was caused, if you were injured as a result of another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
Compensation We’ve Recovered for Kentucky Personal Injury Cases
The Fort Mitchell personal injury attorneys of Lawrence & Associates have recovered millions of dollars for victims of car accidents, slip-and-fall incidents, and more.
Our track record of success includes:
- $3.5 million recovered for a man who was pinned between two vehicles, which broke his hips and legs.
- $1 million recovered for a man who was hit by another vehicle while he was changing his tire, resulting in life-threatening injuries.
- $240,000 recovered for a family who was hit by an uninsured drunk driver.
- $100,000 recovered for a motorcyclist who lost control due to a passing truck that spread loose debris on the road.
- $165,000 recovered for a man who slipped and fell in a restaurant due to slick floors. As a result of his injuries, he lost an important contract and was previously a high-wage earner.
How much compensation can I recover?
The amount of compensation you recover for your personal injury case depends on your “damages.” This is a legal term that refers to your extent of injuries. Kentucky residents harmed by negligence are entitled to compensation for two types of injuries: economic and non-economic.
In other words, compensation is designed to offset all negative effects of your injuries, not just your out-of-pocket expenses. This ensures you are made “whole” again if awarded compensation for your lawsuit.
Examples of economic losses include:
- Costs for ongoing and future medical care related to your injuries
- Costs for hospital stays
- Ambulance bills
- Home modifications, if your injuries are severe and necessitate changes to your living situation, such as installing ramps and lifts
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity, if you cannot return to work due to your injuries
You may also be compensated for non-economic losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium or companionship, if you’re filing on behalf of a loved one who died
A Fort Mitchell personal injury lawyer can help you understand what compensation you may be entitled to for your specific situation.
Do I really need a lawyer for my personal injury case?
Attempting to recover compensation on your own is very difficult. First, you must identify all liable parties, which requires a thorough investigation. An attorney can handle this on your behalf, take depositions of relevant witnesses, and hire expert witnesses to consult on issues of liability and causation.
For certain types of personal injury cases – such as product liability and premises liability – you must be prepared to take on deep-pocketed corporations and large insurance companies. At Lawrence & Associates, we have the necessary resources to successfully litigate personal injury cases and take them to trial, if needed.
What is the deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Fort Mitchell?
The “statute of limitations” is a state law that determines the deadline for filing various lawsuits. In the state of Kentucky, these are the relevant deadlines:
- One year from the date of injury when filing a personal injury case.
- One year from the date of injury when filing a product liability case.
- One year from the date of injury that resulted in death when filing a case for wrongful death.
However, there are circumstances that may affect these deadlines. Kentucky employs the “discovery rule,” which extends the statute of limitations based on when you discovered the negligence, not when the negligence occurred.
This only applies in certain situations, so it’s critical to contact an attorney as soon as possible. The Fort Mitchell personal injury attorneys at Lawrence & Associates can evaluate your case and determine the correct deadline.
How long will it take to settle or resolve my case?
While there is no set timeline for personal injury lawsuits, the legal team at Lawrence & Associates is committed to resolving cases quickly. We understand that you may have costly medical bills, but are unable to work in the meantime. This is why we work tirelessly to resolve cases in a timely manner.
If the defendant accepts liability, resolution can be fairly quick. In this case, it’s mostly a matter of calculating your damages and negotiating a settlement. If any liability is denied, we may have to take the case to trial. This can take many months, but we are dedicated to recovering compensation as quickly as possible.
Meet with a Fort Mitchell Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve suffered serious harm and someone else is at fault, you have a right to hold them accountable and demand compensation. You may be facing a long road to recovery, but compensation can help offset your financial strain.
At Lawrence & Associates, our legal team is committed to achieving the best possible outcome. We’ll review your case for free and give you a better idea of your potential compensation options. Contact us today at (513) 351-5997 to meet with a personal injury attorney in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky.