When you purchase an insurance policy for your home or business, you have a right to expect that you will receive appropriate compensation in the event of an accident or natural disaster. However, many property owners who file a claim encounter unexpected delays, reductions, or denials. Working with a team of experienced property damage insurance claim lawyers in Cincinnati, OH, can give you the support and advocacy you need as you seek the full and fair compensation you deserve.
The seasoned Cincinnati property damage attorneys at Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC understand how challenging life can feel after an insurance company denies your claim for reasons that do not add up. With us on your side, you can optimize your property or homeowners’ insurance compensation. Contact us today at (513) 351-5997 or fill out our online form for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
What Is Bad Faith Insurance?
Bad faith insurance occurs in situations where an insurance company engages in unfair claim practices. This could involve delaying or denying valid claims, failing to investigate claims properly, misrepresenting policy terms, or putting their own financial interests above the policyholder’s. When insurance companies act in bad faith, they are violating the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing that is part of all insurance contracts.
Some examples of bad faith insurance practices include:
- Denying a claim based on minor technicalities or insignificant errors in the application
- Dragging out negotiations and delaying payments to wear down the policyholder
- Misrepresenting facts about the policy’s insurance coverage
- Hiring biased experts to produce reports that favor denying claims
- Ignoring clear evidence that supports approving a claim
Ohio law requires insurance companies to behave fairly toward policyholders. If you believe your insurance company is acting in bad faith regarding your property damage claim, contact our attorneys immediately. We have extensive experience recognizing and proving bad faith practices.
Types of Property Damage Claims
Property damage claims arise from a wide variety of incidents. Our Cincinnati lawyers have handled insurance claims resulting from:
- Damage from tornados – Tornados can cause severe destruction, tearing roofs off buildings, knocking down walls, and sending debris flying at high speeds.
- Damage from burst pipes – Pipes can burst due to wear and tear, improper installation, freezing temperatures, water pressure issues, and more. Water damage from burst pipes can be extensive, requiring massive cleanup and restoration efforts.
- Damage from a fire in a commercial building – Fires in commercial buildings put many lives at risk and cause massive property damage.
- Damage from hail – Large hailstones can dent facades, break windows, damage roofs, ruin siding, and lead to leaks.
- Damage from flooding – Rising floodwaters can upend cars, undermine foundations, warp floors, promote mold growth, and destroy virtually anything in their path. Extensive drying, cleaning, repair, and replacement are usually necessary.
- Damage from wind – Strong winds can tear off roofs, knock down trees and power lines, send unsecured items airborne, and cause water intrusion when flying debris breaks windows.
- Damage from ice – Heavy accumulations of ice can collapse roofs, break tree limbs, short electrical wires, and make roads impassable. Icicles that fall from roofs and overhangs can also cause injury and property damage.
- Damage from a fallen tree – Trees that fall during storms often crash into buildings and vehicles. They can even land on power lines, creating additional electrical hazards.
What Does an Insurance Lawyer Do?
When involved in a dispute with an insurance company, you may feel the odds are stacked against you. The unfortunate reality is that this feeling points to the truth. Insurance companies do all they can to minimize any payouts they must make to a home or business owner. When you try to fight for what you deserve on your own, your chances of success are significantly reduced.
The good news is that working with a team of experienced property damage insurance claim lawyers can give you the leverage you need to reach the favorable outcome you deserve. Our knowledgeable and skilled team can handle your claim from start to finish. We will thoroughly investigate the incident, calculate the value of your claim, and negotiate aggressively with the insurance company for the fair compensation you deserve. Trust Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC to stand up to greedy insurance companies so that you can move on with dignity.
Steps to Take for a Property Damage Insurance Claim
If your property has been damaged, there are important steps you should take right away to preserve evidence, mitigate further damage, and position yourself for the strongest possible insurance claim. These steps include the following:
- Document the damage through photographs and video.
- Make temporary repairs to prevent additional damage (cover broken windows, place tarps on damaged roofs, etc.).
- Keep samples or swatches of damaged property (carpet, drapes, etc.) for insurance inspectors.
- Save receipts for temporary repairs, cleanup supplies, services from restoration companies, and other related expenses.
- Avoid making permanent repairs until the insurance company has inspected the property.
- Report the damage promptly to your insurance agent per the terms of your policy.
- Create an inventory of damaged or destroyed personal property, including estimated values.
- Compile proof of ownership and pre-loss condition for damaged items.
By taking these critical steps, you will demonstrate good faith to the insurance company while gathering the documentation needed to pursue your maximum claim amount.
Contact an Experienced Cincinnati Property Damage Lawyer
When seeking compensation via a property damage claim, do not leave the outcome to chance. Consult with the team at Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC to maximize your chances of receiving the full settlement offer you deserve. Our experienced Cincinnati property damage insurance claim lawyers are passionate about fighting for your rights, and we will use our skills and resources to deliver a favorable outcome in your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you will only pay us if we win.