What Happens If Your Uber Gets Into an Accident?
Posted on Friday, September 1st, 2023 at 9:00 am
The growing popularity of rideshare services in Ohio raises a natural question: What happens if your Uber gets into an accident? Crashes involving vehicles from Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare apps involve legal issues that don’t occur in other car accidents in Cincinnati. Therefore, knowing what happens next and how to protect your rights is crucial.
At Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC, our Cincinnati Uber accident attorneys believe everyone should know how to protect their rights. Knowing what happens after an Uber crash and how you can recover the money you need is essential. We can provide that information and help however else we can.
Does Uber Cover Accidents?
Uber provides up to $1 million in third-party liability coverage for passengers in case of an accident. (Third-party coverage means someone other than the rideshare driver caused the crash.) This coverage applies from the moment the driver accepts a fare until they drop off their passengers. Therefore, this policy should apply if you sustain injuries in an Uber accident.
Uber also offers more limited coverage for drivers who are logged into the app but do not have an active fare. In these situations, Uber offers the following third-party liability coverage (assuming the Uber driver’s insurance does not apply):
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage per accident
Finally, Uber’s insurance does not apply to drivers who are not logged into the app. So, if an Uber driver hits you on their way home from their last fare of the day, only the driver’s insurance applies.
Is Uber Liable for Accidents?
As odd as it sounds, the question of whether Uber is liable for an accident is separate from the question of whether they cover accidents. You would think that if Uber covers accidents, that makes them responsible. However, Uber maintains that its drivers are independent contractors, meaning the company is not directly liable for their actions. That said, there are some circumstances where it is possible to sue Uber directly after a crash.
If there’s evidence that Uber was negligent in its hiring process, there might be a case against the company itself. For example, if Uber failed to conduct a thorough background check on a driver with a history of reckless driving, and that driver caused a crash, that might justify a lawsuit.
Another situation where Uber might be liable for an accident is a crash due to poor vehicle maintenance. If the evidence shows Uber was aware or should have been aware of the issue but failed to take action, they might be liable for a collision.
How to Protect Your Rights After an Ohio Uber Accident
Because there are additional legal challenges in Uber accidents, your actions after a collision are crucial. Taking the following steps after an Uber accident gives you a stronger chance of recovering fair compensation:
- Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of the accident. Include the names of all involved parties, the Uber driver’s information, and any witnesses, as well as any photos of injuries or property damage you have.
- Report the Accident to Uber: Use the Uber app to report the accident promptly. This ensures the company has a record of the crash. However, be careful not to say anything that might imply you caused the collision.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your own insurance provider about the accident immediately. This is crucial even if you weren’t driving, as they can provide guidance on potential claims. Again, watch what you say to avoid implicating yourself.
- Preserve All Medical Records: Make sure to keep copies of all medical bills, doctor’s notes, and any other relevant medical documentation. This evidence helps demonstrate the extent and cost of your injuries.
- Stay Organized: Create a dedicated folder or digital space for all your accident-related documents. Being organized can simplify the process if you pursue a personal injury claim.
- Seek Legal Counsel: Reach out to a reputable law firm like Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC. Having a knowledgeable attorney can provide valuable insights into your potential claim and rights.
Contact Our Cincinnati Uber Accident Attorneys Now
You don’t need the hassle of trying to recover fair compensation for an Uber accident. You need to focus on healing and putting your life back together. The Uber accident lawyers in Cincinnati at Lawrence & Associates Accident and Injury Lawyers, LLC can handle all the legal work while you tend to other matters. We have a proven track record and will aggressively protect your rights. Call (513) 351-5997 or complete our contact form for a free consultation.